April 17, 2014

The Eucharist - a Lenten grace received

At first when I started thinking of a Lenten grace to write about I could not think of anything.  After all, I have not had any visions, been healed of a disease or worked any miracles!  But then I thought about the greatest grace imaginable, the grace of falling deeper in love with the One Who has called me to be His.  This has been His gift to me this Lent; the gift of knowing in a deeper way that I am His and He is mine.  The gift of falling more in love with our Eucharistic God, Who even as I write this and you read this, is waiting for us, waiting to shower His love on us.  Not in some generic spring shower way, but a torrential downpour on each of our souls.  This Lent Jesus has let me experience, even if it was just a little, His presence in the Holy Eucharist.  His gift to me has been Himself and now I am trying to give Him in return what He is longing for:  my whole being.  I pray that all of us will come to see the immense gift of the Eucharist, to experience in an even deeper way the reality of our total dependence on the Eucharist and Jesus’ great longing to unite each of us totally with Himself for all eternity!  In the words of St. Peter Julian Eymard, “We have the Eucharist, what more could we want!”

No comments: