Skip to main content

Toothpicks and Christmas cards

December, 1980:  It was Christmas time, and I was in kindergarten, and we were given the task of making ornaments for our classroom tree.  The popular craft of the era was the old Christmas card picture framed in a stack of toothpicks carefully glued together.  I remember making my stack, then the disappointment as my toothpick stack collapsed under the strain of the glue oozing from the corners.  As my classmates swarmed and danced around the tree, looking for a place to hang their ornament, I stayed behind with my failed Christmas ornament, feeling very sad.  (A footnote:  35 years later, I’m pretty sure everyone else’s ornament probably had 2 toothpicks and a half cup of glue on it for decoration; my failure was the curse of being a perfectionist kindergartener!)
In this the Gospel reading for the second week of Advent (Lk 3: 1-6), we heard that John proclaimed a “baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.”  What is this repentance like?  I think sometimes we approach repentance much like I approached my failed Christmas ornament project:  treating God like he is far away, we feverishly try to identify and root sin out of our lives.  We have these dreams of showing the Lord our now-sinless soul, made perfect by the strain of our efforts, and we sing, “Ta-da!  Look what I’ve done all by myself!”  We know all too well that this so-called “success” never actually happens.  In our efforts to root out sin, we fall back into it.  Then we pull the same old thing our first parents did: we try to hide from God, going back to where we started, feeling more distant from him than ever.
Jesus shows us in this second week of Advent that repentance doesn’t have to be that way.  On Monday, we hear that Jesus has the authority to forgive sins (Lk 5:17-26).  Then in the reading for Tuesday of the second week of Advent, Jesus tells that parable of the lost sheep, assuring us that he doesn’t wait for us to come to him; he comes to find us (Mt 18:12-14).  Finally, on Wednesday, we hear these consoling words,
Come to me all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.
In this passage, I think we hear the secret of the joy of repentance.  Jesus is with us every step of the way in the work of repentance.  In fact, he has initiated the work through his grace won for us on the cross.  And when we lay down the heavy burden of equating “repentance with “no sin” or unattainable perfection, and also foisting conditions on God’s love (he will love me when I am perfect), we will experience the joy of picking up the yoke of Christ.  Instead of figuring out on my own what obstacles there are to my personal holiness (and approaching this all on my own), I can now ask Jesus, “Lord, what is there that is keeping me from deeper communion with you?” and open my heart to the grace offered in the sacraments, because it is only through, with, and in Christ that I can experience true conversion.  When we do this, we are acting on the faith that Jesus has truly redeemed us; he has stood in the place of our sinfulness as the beloved Son of the Father.  It is only when we have this daily conversation with Jesus that we experience the joy of repentance, of being the beloved son or daughter of God through the redemption offered us by Jesus Christ.  This is when the yoke become easy and the burden light, as impossible as that sounds.  It is then that we will experience the hope expressed in Isaiah (Monday’s first reading):

Those whom the Lord has ransomed will return
and enter Zion singing,
crowned with everlasting joy;
They will meet with joy and gladness,
sorrow and mourning will flee.

Let’s answer John’s call to repentance this Advent!

-Sr. M. Mediatrix, FSGM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to our Family, Postulants!!!

Today, on the Feast of the Birth of Mary, our new postulants entered the postulancy of our American Province of the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George! We thank God for the gift of these vocations. Pictured above - on their very first full day in the convent - are (from left) Ashley Vola, Samantha Goodson, Miranda Edgar, Jennifer Clark and Erin Leis. Welcome, Postulants! We Sisters are grateful that you have accepted Christ's invitation to belong totally to Him in our Franciscan community, and we support you wholeheartedly with our prayers and help! If you would like to send a word of welcome and encouragement to these new postulants, we will pass the greetings along to them. Just leave them as a "comment"!

Looking Back with Gratitude

“Christ is calling you; the Church needs you; the Pope believes in you and he expects great things of you!” My life would never be the same as the words of John Paul II coursed through my mind and beat with fervor in my heart. Me? Could he possibly mean me? Like many others, I felt Pope John Paul II was speaking directly to me as I sat behind him in the nose-bleed section of the stadium in Saint Louis. Throughout my high school years after this encounter, the idea of having a possible vocation to the religious life shocked and bewildered me, but at the same time brought me such peace. As each year came and went, my relationship with Jesus Christ and His Church grew with greater depth, understanding, and love. Through daily mass, Eucharistic Adoration, the Rosary, Scripture and God’s divine intervention through his priests and religious, I soon realized that, yes, the Pope did mean me. Christ was calling me and how could I say no? After one year of college, I soon came to the realizatio

Journey with Mary: Sacrificial Love of Spiritual Motherhood

                Recently, I found a reflection I had written during my first retreat as a postulant. The last conference that had been given was on Spiritual Motherhood. As I approached the 4 th Station where Jesus meets His Sorrowful Mother, this is what struck my heart:                 What is the sacrificial love of a mother? It is the self-sacrifice made to love her children. Mary’s self-sacrifice to be there with Christ, her Son, in His passion was the selfless love that united her with Him. Her heart was pierced with 7 swords in the agony of watching her beloved Son endure a cross that He did not deserve, but which He embraced for the love of the Father and mankind. Could she not have said to Jesus, “You don’t have to do this, there are other ways. Do you know how much pain You are causing me and those who love you?” She knew He could have chosen any other way to save us, but this was the Father’s will, and so in silent love Mary trusted. If the world is suffering, why do y