Skip to main content

Adventus

            As I am coming to the end of my first semester at St. Louis University, I am, as a co-Sister put it, “eye-brow deep” in studying for finals. In the midst of my studying, one of my favorite ways to take a “brain break” from trying to cram all the information I’ve learned this past semester into my brain, is to pull out my dictionary and look up new words or to go online and find etymologies to words. Call me a nerd, but I just find words and their root meanings or how to came to be fascinating.
            Seeing as to how we are right smack in the middle of Advent, I thought it fitting to look up the etymology to the word advent. It turns out that advent comes from the Latin word adventus and has quite a range of meanings. It can mean a coming, arrival, or appearance—all fitting for the way we understand Advent and our waiting for the coming of Jesus on Christmas. However, I came across a translation that both surprised and struck me. Adventus also has a military connotation: incursion or invasion. It turns out that in ancient Rome, the Romans held a special ceremony, an adventus, in which an emperor was formally welcomed with a glorious entry into a city either during a progress or after military campaign. I found this meaning to be so fitting, seeing as to how we celebrate Advent, as a waiting, or rather, a joyful anticipation of the coming of the King of Kings, our Prince of Peace.

            Greater is He than any earthly king of emperor! He, the creator of the universe, the maker of our hearts, abandoned His throne in Heaven and chose to come down to us a vulnerable and poor child. Unlike an earthly king, He does not come decked out in magnificence, but rather, comes to us through a lowly maiden, is wrapped in swaddling clothes, and is laid in a manger. Yet, this poor Child comes to redeem and save us, to raise us to new life and to glory with Him. As Advent nears to an end, let us more consciously unite our hearts with Mary, contemplating the awesome wonder of the mystery of the Incarnation, waiting with bated breaths as the coming of the Christ Child draws near. Let us continue to prepare our hearts, clearing out all the cobwebs and clutter that we have allowed to accumulate, so that baby Jesus may have the most glorious of entries and find the most welcoming of dwellings into our hearts on Christmas morning. Maranatha! Come, Lord Jesus!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to our Family, Postulants!!!

Today, on the Feast of the Birth of Mary, our new postulants entered the postulancy of our American Province of the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George! We thank God for the gift of these vocations. Pictured above - on their very first full day in the convent - are (from left) Ashley Vola, Samantha Goodson, Miranda Edgar, Jennifer Clark and Erin Leis. Welcome, Postulants! We Sisters are grateful that you have accepted Christ's invitation to belong totally to Him in our Franciscan community, and we support you wholeheartedly with our prayers and help! If you would like to send a word of welcome and encouragement to these new postulants, we will pass the greetings along to them. Just leave them as a "comment"!

Looking Back with Gratitude

“Christ is calling you; the Church needs you; the Pope believes in you and he expects great things of you!” My life would never be the same as the words of John Paul II coursed through my mind and beat with fervor in my heart. Me? Could he possibly mean me? Like many others, I felt Pope John Paul II was speaking directly to me as I sat behind him in the nose-bleed section of the stadium in Saint Louis. Throughout my high school years after this encounter, the idea of having a possible vocation to the religious life shocked and bewildered me, but at the same time brought me such peace. As each year came and went, my relationship with Jesus Christ and His Church grew with greater depth, understanding, and love. Through daily mass, Eucharistic Adoration, the Rosary, Scripture and God’s divine intervention through his priests and religious, I soon realized that, yes, the Pope did mean me. Christ was calling me and how could I say no? After one year of college, I soon came to the realizatio

Journey with Mary: Sacrificial Love of Spiritual Motherhood

                Recently, I found a reflection I had written during my first retreat as a postulant. The last conference that had been given was on Spiritual Motherhood. As I approached the 4 th Station where Jesus meets His Sorrowful Mother, this is what struck my heart:                 What is the sacrificial love of a mother? It is the self-sacrifice made to love her children. Mary’s self-sacrifice to be there with Christ, her Son, in His passion was the selfless love that united her with Him. Her heart was pierced with 7 swords in the agony of watching her beloved Son endure a cross that He did not deserve, but which He embraced for the love of the Father and mankind. Could she not have said to Jesus, “You don’t have to do this, there are other ways. Do you know how much pain You are causing me and those who love you?” She knew He could have chosen any other way to save us, but this was the Father’s will, and so in silent love Mary trusted. If the world is suffering, why do y