Skip to main content

Forgiveness

While Southwest airlines allows you to “select your own seat,” I am confident that it was not I who selected my seat on a recent return to Alton.  As the flight began, the woman next to me inquired about the book I was reading.  I explained the title and summarized the contents saying, “It deals with what it means to receive God’s love and from that receptivity, learning to love one’s neighbor.”  She followed with hard questions about suffering, death, grief, and forgiveness, sharing her story about her son’s tragic death with honesty and vulnerability.  It was clear that there was a great deal of hurt, resentment, anger, and a dire need to forgive and experience forgiveness.  Thanks to the promptings of the Holy Spirit and the providence of the recent lectionary cycle at daily Mass, we carried on this conversation for almost the entirety of the two-and-a-half-hour flight during which I was able to share the Gospel (literally) and some insights on forgiveness that I found practical and effective.

Just two days prior, the selection of the Gospel of Matthew proclaimed at daily Mass was Jesus teaching his disciples to pray, giving them the words of the Our Father.  The homilist that day focused on the fact that after doing so, Jesus reiterated a challenging aspect of the prayer, namely that “If you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions” (Matt. 6:15).  The priest then led the congregation in what he called a “microwave” forgiveness session.  He invited us to picture a person that has hurt us and to visualize him at his judgment; as he stands before God, God looks to us and asks, “What should I do with him?  Should I let him in?”  While we imagined that scene, he challenged us to make our own the words of St. Stephen for his executioners, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them” (Acts 7:60).  This helps us to understand that forgiveness means to see a person as more than his sin, to know what he has done and to know that he is more than that action and more than the hurt inflicted.  It was a powerful exercise, and one that I shared with the woman on the plane. 

But forgiveness is a complex reality.  It’s not always a “one and done” scenario.  There are often layers of hurt and one might need to forgive the same person for the same thing multiple times.  Forgiveness is an act of the will, but it needs to go as deep as the hurt, which is usually nestled in the depths of the heart.  An image that the priest gave in his homily was that of a spiral staircase he once saw that led to a small Eucharistic chapel.  He relayed that each time we choose to forgive, we ascend closer to the heart of Christ.  The “70x7” that Jesus speaks of in the Gospels is sometimes forgiving the same hurt “70x7” times.  Ultimately, our human hearts are incapable of forgiving on our own.  It is only capable of forgiveness when it is united to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and in fact, when our hearts are transformed to be his heart in the world.  Only in this way can we truly “make the merciful love of Christ visible,” and indeed to live the spiritual work of mercy forgiving injuries.

As we began our descent into St. Louis, I ripped out the pages of my Magnificat on which that Gospel was found along with the notes I made in prayer after hearing that homily and gave them to my new friend.  My prayer is that the Lord will give her his heart so that in experiencing his mercy and healing, she can share that with the next person with whom she sits on her next Southwest flight.

- Sister M. Karolyn, FSGM

Comments

grams ramblings said…
So happy to stumble across your blog...

gramswisewords.blogspot.com
Anonymous said…
Timely and beautiful writing.
Thanks
Joe Coulter said…
I have enjoyed reading your blog with its strong Christian ethos. I wonder if you might be interested in reading my fictional and utterly impractical plan to solve all of the world’s problems.
Here it is: www.letsgetthisdone.org
Please let me know what you think.
Thanks

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to our Family, Postulants!!!

Today, on the Feast of the Birth of Mary, our new postulants entered the postulancy of our American Province of the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George! We thank God for the gift of these vocations. Pictured above - on their very first full day in the convent - are (from left) Ashley Vola, Samantha Goodson, Miranda Edgar, Jennifer Clark and Erin Leis. Welcome, Postulants! We Sisters are grateful that you have accepted Christ's invitation to belong totally to Him in our Franciscan community, and we support you wholeheartedly with our prayers and help! If you would like to send a word of welcome and encouragement to these new postulants, we will pass the greetings along to them. Just leave them as a "comment"!

Journey with Mary: Sacrificial Love of Spiritual Motherhood

                Recently, I found a reflection I had written during my first retreat as a postulant. The last conference that had been given was on Spiritual Motherhood. As I approached the 4 th Station where Jesus meets His Sorrowful Mother, this is what struck my heart:                 What is the sacrificial love of a mother? It is the self-sacrifice made to love her children. Mary’s self-sacrifice to be there with Christ, her Son, in His passion was the selfless love that united her with Him. Her heart was pierced with 7 swords in the agony of watching her beloved Son endure a cross that He did not deserve, but which He embraced for the love of the Father and mankind. Could she not have said to Jesus, “You don’t have to do this, there are other ways. Do you know how much pain You are causing me and those who love you?” She knew He could have chosen any other way to save us, but this was the Father’s will, and so in silent love Mary trusted. If the world is suffering, why do y

Looking Back with Gratitude

“Christ is calling you; the Church needs you; the Pope believes in you and he expects great things of you!” My life would never be the same as the words of John Paul II coursed through my mind and beat with fervor in my heart. Me? Could he possibly mean me? Like many others, I felt Pope John Paul II was speaking directly to me as I sat behind him in the nose-bleed section of the stadium in Saint Louis. Throughout my high school years after this encounter, the idea of having a possible vocation to the religious life shocked and bewildered me, but at the same time brought me such peace. As each year came and went, my relationship with Jesus Christ and His Church grew with greater depth, understanding, and love. Through daily mass, Eucharistic Adoration, the Rosary, Scripture and God’s divine intervention through his priests and religious, I soon realized that, yes, the Pope did mean me. Christ was calling me and how could I say no? After one year of college, I soon came to the realizatio